In written documents Subotica was first mentioned on May 7th 1391, although it must have existed long before that. Namely, it has been proved that the region was inhabited as far as 3000 years ago.
Due to a number of great migrations, many nationalities settled in this frontier region such as Hungarians,Croats, Bunjevacs, Serbs, Germans, Jews, Slovaks and others .
The first recorded neme of the town appears in written sources as Zabodka, wich has been
consequently altered more than two hundred times.
The most remarkable were Szent Maria, Maria Theresiopolis, Maria Theresienstadt, and
In less than two decades, at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century it experienced an exceptional urban, industrial and cultural boom.
A faster progress of crafts, industry, and trade induced by the arrival of the railway in 1869 would be accelerated by the building of the power plant in 1897 and the introduction of the tram in 1897.
The beginnings of the town’s current industries trace back to the end of the last century – 'Hartman&Konen' meat exporters were the first in the country to use ice house storage, 'Klotild' sulphuric acid and fertilizer plant was founded in 1904, Ruff brothers started their confectionary production in 1917, while 'Sever' electro-motorworks was established in 1923.
Due to the foundation of the first institutions in the mid 18 th century, Subotica developed into a modern central European town.
The National Theatre
The first grammar school was opened in Subotica in 1747, the music school in 1868, home for the elderly in 1766, the first printing press was established in 1844, the library was opened in
1846, the theatre was built in 1854., and Palić became a spa in 1845.
The first newspaper was published in 1848,Angelo Bianci from Pécs organized the first motion picture projection in 1899, Aleksandar Lifka had the first movie theatre built in 1910, and Ivan Sarić took off in his self-constructed plane in 1910 and in 1920 the University of Law was